There is a whole pile of opinion both ways on this subject but here’s the bottom line: a wood heated sauna stove makes for a better sauna than an electric sauna. Why?
- Wood heat penetrates deeper, electric heat can feel like sitting in a toaster oven. (my opinion, supported by others).
- Wood heat offers a fresher sauna. A fire needs oxygen to burn. As a wood fired sauna burns, it cycles fresh air into the sauna room.
- Wood fired sauna stove accepts water on the rocks (Loli) much better than an electric stove. Wood heats with thermal mass, where electric coils in an electric stove burn hot and thin (see toaster oven, above).
- Wood heat contains negatve ions. this is mumbo jumbo for some future post/discussion.
- Wood heat is free and off the grid. Plus, with an efficient wood burning sauna stove like a Kuuma Stove, you can burn efficient and clean.