I have had a few people ask me for a list of all the components needed for installing a wood stove. Home Depot doesn’t stock the chimney gear. Selkerk website is pretty lame.
For purchasing all the chimney and stove pipe components for your wood stove, I suggest:
- Visiting a fireplace supply center in your area. Or
- Go to Menards, if you have one in your area.
Menards stocks all the Selkerk “Super Vent” line of products.
I have built a bunch of saunas and have purchased many sets of wood burning stove components. Here is my list of what you need (not official names) from the stove up:
- A deep breath.
- Stove pipe. black. Hard to assemble but you put it on soft ground and snap together with your knee. Tricky but good news is that sections of this black metal pipe are not expensive. 2 sections should get you from the stove to the ceiling.
- Damper. (optional but recommended depending on stove).
- Stove pipe adapter. Transitions from black to silver, drops down with gravity onto the ceiling flange kit.
- Ceiling flange kit. A big round circle piece with four flanges that get screwed to your 12″ x 12″ rafter boxed opening.
- Chimney pipe. Comes in 1′, 2′, 3′ lengths. Expensive.
- Boot. Two pitches, either 1/12 – 6/12 or a steeper one, 6/12 – 12/12. nail or screw under shingles. Seal with Lexall or similar.
- Storm collar. Secures around the chimney pipe above the boot, with a screw. Seal with a bead of Lexall or similar around chimney pipe.
- Chimney cap. The cherry on top.
UPDATE : 3/14/19
Thanks Tony for link below. It looks complicated, but after #1 above (a deep breath) we can work through the brochure found alongside the products for sale at Menards. Those with no access to Menards, I encourage you visit a fireplace supply company in your area.
Here is a screen shot of a page in the Selkirk brochure which guides shoppers to purchasing all the stove components available:
Thanks to Matt, who took 10 deep Wim Hof breaths and navigated through the Menards website shopping cart builder, we have a great visual on exactly what is needed to go from – in order – the wood fired sauna stove to above where birds fly atop your chimney outside. On behalf of future DIY sauna builders far and wide, I look forward to thanking you, Matt, with a nICE mug and a Fulton 300 between sauna rounds.