Let’s talk about wood paneling for our hot rooms: Nordic Spruce, Poplar, Pine, European Elder, Cedar, if you list any more my attention will peter.
- In North America: Western Red Cedar is most popular.
- In Europe: Nordic Spruce, Elder, Poplar (aspen), or Pine.
“What is the best wood to use for paneling the walls of my sauna room?”
If you ask 5 professionals in the lumber industry, you may get 2- 3 different answers. But the most common answer is Western Red Cedar.
Western Red Cedar is:
- Slightly aromatic yet not smelly or overpowering.
- Holds up over generations (literally).
- Expensive, but readily available and is cheaper over the long haul.
- Doesn’t get as hot to the touch. Soft wood. loose grained.
- During construction, most sauna builders love the smell of freshly cut cedar in the morning…. smells like victory.
More on Cedar? click here.