Let’s review the cycles of a good sauna session:
- Hot room: Settling into the soft light and silence (or some ambient sauna music), we are brought right into the present moment.
- Cold plunge: A cold shower, jump into the lake or cold plunge, we are brought right into the present moment.
- The cool down: Relaxing outside in Nature or hanging out in the cool down room, we may enjoy some casual conversation and a cold beverage, endorphin rushing body equalizing, we are brought right into the present moment.
Consider how great it is to be able to live in the present moment. According to the recent 612 Sauna Society pole:
Stress relief & relaxation are the top two reasons why members of the 612 Sauna Society come to sauna.
The primary way to relieve stress and to relax is to separate ourselves from any worry about our past or anxiety about our future. We separate from these thoughts and emotions when we are able to just “be” in the present moment.
Let’s revisit sauna and the present moment another way:
- Hot room: When you are sitting in a hot sauna, we can’t help but be in the present moment.
- Cold plunge: When you’re sitting in an ice bath, we can’t help but be in the present moment.
- The cool down: When you’re feeling great between rounds. Body equalizing, enjoying nature, we can’t help but be in the present moment.
It’s pretty obvious stuff, but very much worth noting:
Sauna and cold plunge is all about living in the present moment.