As sauna is becoming more and more popular, people are seeking out good sauna tips.
Like with exercise, we know that we shouldn’t eat right before we sauna. We also know that it is not good to go to sauna hungry, our bodies depleted of nutrition. But an often overlooked Sauna Secret is hydration.
In the world of physiology studies, if there is such a thing as a sweat meter, I a) don’t want to use it and b) don’t want to be in charge of monitoring it. But if there were to be a sweat meter and a study to go along with it, I am sure that a typical 3 round sauna session would produce many ounces of sweat (ew, that’s enough of that!). So, here’s the thing:
Drink 32 oz. of drinking water before you sauna.
No matter how much you sweat in the sauna, 32 oz. of drinking water will get your body ahead of the game. We are setting ourselves up for a good sauna session. Drinking a shit load of water before we sauna allows our body – all of our cells – to hydrate like a sponge.
Hydration is the cure all for ensuring a good sauna session:
- Get a headache when you sauna? Chances are you didn’t drink enough water.
- Get too hot too fast in the sauna? Chances are you didn’t drink enough water.
- Get too cold too fast standing outside between sauna rounds? Chances are you didn’t drink enough water.
- Feel like shit? Chances are you didn’t drink enough water.
- Your child struggling in math? Chances are he didn’t drink enough water.
Avoid all this.
- Heading to a sauna party?
- Hitting the sauna after a work out?
- On your way to Helsinki for a plumbing conference?